On his 100th birthday, Eubie Blake said “If I had of known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.”
Wellness for Life:
Wellness is not defined solely by the absence of disease; it is all about achieving mental, emotional and physical well-being by promoting positive lifestyle choices that can lead to good health and balance. It is preventative medicine in action. Wellness encourages optimal health and promotes a healthy and happy mind, body and spirit. With a simple and practical Wellness program you can stay active for as long as possible, reduce your risk of chronic disease, and increase your vitality.
7 Easy Tips for ‘Eating Your Way to Wellness’
Sustainable, healthy eating is truly the best way to achieve your goal of vitality and Wellness for the long-term. It is easy to eat well and be healthy following these key steps of the Wellness eating plan:
1. Include protein-rich foods in each meal or snack, including fish, poultry, lean meats, eggs, dairy, tofu, and tempeh. Remember fresh is best.
2. Enjoy a minimum of three cups of fresh vegetables per day to help increase long-term health and vitality. Aim to have a rainbow on your plate to ensure good antioxidant intake and seasonal variety.
3. Enjoy a minimum of two pieces or one cup of fruit per day.
4. Starchy carbohydrates should be kept at a minimum, with one to two small serves each day. These include cereals, pasta, bread and rice. Where possible choose low glycaemic index options such as wholegrain varieties.
5. Include nuts, seeds and healthy oils daily. Enjoy up to two tablespoons of healthy oils such as olive oil, macadamia oil or flaxseed oil, and ¼ cup or a small handful of nuts and seeds. Nuts and seeds can also provide protein and other nutrients, such as selenium from Brazil nuts.
6. Ensure you are well hydrated. Enjoy at least eight glasses or two litres of pure water per day. Use natural flavourings such as fresh lemon, lime, mint or watermelon instead of opting for soft drinks. Reduce caffeinated beverages to one to two per day, and minimise alcohol intake.
7. It can be a challenge to maintain a perfect diet 100% of the time. Allow yourself a freedom meal once a week. This will keep your life-long Wellness program achievable, realistic
Plan to Play, Be Active, Relax and Enjoy:
Achieving Wellness can require a bit of juggling initially to maintain balance in all areas of your life; and consistently eating well is only one facet of your Wellness plan. It is important to exercise regularly to support your physical and mental well-being. Aim for 30 minutes of light to moderate
exercise most days of the week. Find an activity that you enjoy doing and stick with it. Relaxation activities such as yoga, spending time in nature, playing with pets or meditation can also help increase the feel good chemicals in your brain and help you to de-stress. Fun social activities, such as sharing a meal or having a laugh with friends and family are also an important aspect of a happy, balanced life.
Speak to your Practitioner for advice on setting Wellness goals and monitoring your progress towards health and vitality.
Maintain Your Wellness with Key Supplements:
Research shows key natural supplements can complement your Wellness diet and lifestyle program such as:
1. A high quality fish oil to provide daily omega-3 for a healthy heart, supple joints and healthy nervous system.
2. A high-strength probiotic can help to maintain the right balance in your digestive tract, as many lifestyle factors can throw this balance out.
3. A daily multivitamin and mineral formula to fill any nutritional gaps that your diet doesn’t fulfill.
4. A good quality antioxidant formula to support healthy ageing and reduce the risk of developing chronic disease.
You Too Can Achieve a Life of Wellness:
Would you like to improve your energy, vitality and mood whilst also supporting cardiovascular, immune and digestive health? Your goal of Wellness can be achieved by combining a Wellness eating plan with regular exercise, relaxation, fun and key nutritional supplementation.