Do those dreaded colds and flus leave you and your family with runny noses, coughs, sore throats, headaches, fevers and fatigue through the winter months? These symptoms are often the leading cause of time away from school and work. Now is the perfect time to boost your immune system and defend against cold and flu symptoms. Remember, prevention is always better than cure.
- Andrographis: This immune herb given at 6 g has been shown to be as effective as paracetamol for reducing fever and sore throat. Together with Zinc and Picrorrhiza, Andrographis may also help to reduce duration of illness. Elderberry is an excellent herb to help reduce flu symptoms such as fever and runny noses.
- Cordyceps, Coriolus and Reishi are medicinal mushrooms that specifically target virally-infected cells, often the cause of those winter colds and flus. These medicinal mushrooms can be taken both acutely and also for chronic infections, to help restore a healthy functioning immune system.
- Zinc, Vitamin D and Vitamin C: These key nutrients are all important to help reduce the severity and duration of illness, whilst also supporting your immune system to function optimally.
- Eat seasonally, fresh and organic as much as possible.
- Eat a well-balanced Mediterranean style diet with plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, nuts, seeds, fish and lean meats.
- Reduce inflammatory foods that can suppress immune function and are mucous-forming, such as dairy, sugar, white breads, cakes and soft drinks.
- Try a hot fresh lemon, garlic and ginger tea with a dash of honey, or thyme tea to soothe a sore throat.
- Drink plenty of water, a minimum of eight glasses per day, and avoid excessive alcohol and caffeine.
- Take time to rest and relax, and get a good night’s sleep.